De-commemoration of Campus Buildings Plan
In summer 2020, the VCU Committee on Commemorations and Memorials made 18 recommendations on memorials, commemorations and de-commemorations to President Rao. The committee’s recommendations and public feedback resulted in three resolutions that de-commemorate buildings and monuments on campus that honor historical figures with ties to the Confederacy, name a School of the Arts building after a former dean and allow the Department of African American Studies to rename its academic building.
On September 18, 2020, the Board of Visitors approved the three resolutions, which led to the renaming of several de-commemorated buildings across the Monroe Park and MCV campuses:
- Health Sciences Library (formerly Tompkins-McCaw Library)
- VCU Health Sciences Research Building (formerly McGuire Hall)
- VCU Health Sciences Research Annex (formerly McGuire Hall-Annex)
- Egyptian Building Auditorium (formerly Baruch Auditorium)
- VCU Dental Building 1 (formerly Wood Memorial Building)
- Office of the Provost (formerly Ginter House), and
- Department of African American Studies (formerly Harrison House)*
*The Department of African American Studies will commemorate and name its academic building at a later date.
By May 7, 2021, all de-commemorated campus buildings will be recognized by their new names. As a result, work to address physical, technological and operational changes related to new building names should be completed by May 7.
The information and resources on this page will be useful for building managers, administrators, IT managers, website editors, purchasers and others directly involved to assist with the transition.
To learn more about commemoration and memorials at VCU, visit https://inclusive.vcu.edu/public-comment/.
- Employees who work within the renamed buildings are encouraged to update their email signatures, voice mail messages, and in-person or automated phone greetings.
- Business cards and stationery
- New business cards and stationery (e.g. letterhead) can be ordered as usual on the B&B e-catalog (via RealSource) as the new building names have been populated into the dropdown menus. (Please note: purchasing new business cards or stationery is the responsibility of the requesting unit.) For questions related to stationery orders, please contact Bob Saydlowski, brand identity manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Facilities Management has ordered all new external signage for the renamed buildings and will coordinate installation with building managers. For questions regarding signage, please contact C. Brandon Dingess, signage coordinator, at email@example.com.
- Digital signage
- Employees who send slides, graphics and other information to be shared on digital signage (e.g. AXIS-TV) are encouraged to update any information that references these buildings prior to submission.
- IT updates
- Facilities Management is working with VCU Technology Services on updating various systems. IT managers and website editors will need to update the names of these buildings in their content. This includes shared networks (e.g. network printers), applications, databases and websites that support work orders, procurement, course registration and space reservations.
- Mailing and delivery
- Employees are encouraged to notify mailing and delivery partners of their building’s new name. For information on how to update mailing information with VCU Mail Services, please contact Donnette Haynes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vendors and external partners
- Employees are encouraged to notify vendors and external partners of their building’s new name.
- More information
- For questions, contact askFMD@vcu.edu.
- Monroe Park Campus
- Building managers can contact Margaret Kelland, Monroe Park Campus coordinator, at email@example.com.
- For a list of Monroe Park Campus building managers, visit https://fmd.vcu.edu/physical-plant/building-managers/monroe-park-campus/.
- MCV Campus
- Building managers can contact Chanel Derricott, MCV Campus coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For a list of MCV Campus building managers, visit https://fmd.vcu.edu/physical-plant/building-managers/mcv-campus/.