Space Allocation and Validation Update
The annual Space Allocation and Validation Update (SAVU) (previously referred to as the space survey) tracks space data in VCU facilities via FM:Interact. To collect up-to-date space data each year, OSM works with pre-approved respondents and approvers in VCU departments.
- January – September: During the first two weeks of each month, respondents and approvers submit updated space information via FM:Interact, as necessary. During the second two weeks of each month, OSM reviews, approves and follows up to confirm submitted space data, as necessary.
- Mid September: SAVU closes and OSM verifies the submitted space information and follows up with respondents and approvers, as necessary.
- November 1: OSM submits space data to the VCU Office of Budget and Resource Analysis.
Respondents and approvers can use the resources below to complete the SAVU.
- Updated for 2022 The FM:Interact and SAVU Training Module available in Talent@VCU provides step-by-step instructions to complete the SAVU.
- Download the FM:Interact and SAVU Training Module PDF.
- Reference the frequently asked questions below for more information about SAVU.
- Track down CIP codes via the National Center for Education Statistics' CIP Code Browser.
- Use the following documents to identity codes needed to complete SAVU:
- Use the SAVU Research Space Guide [PDF] for instructions to complete the research section of SAVU.
For more information and assistance with SAVU, please contact Betsy Moscoso, space data analyst, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the accordions below to read the answer to each question.
SAVU is available online via FM:Interact. To access FM:Interact, you must be logged into the VCU network on the Monroe Park Campus, or if you are off-campus or on the MCV campus, you will need to use a VPN to access the site.
To set up the VPN, you can find instructions on the Technology Services website. If you have any issues installing or using the VPN, please contact your Tech Services department for assistance.
There are a few reasons you might receive this error message:
- You clicked on an invalid link on the FM:Interact homepage.
- You must be logged into the VCU network on the Monroe Park Campus, or if you are off-campus or on the MCV campus, you will need to use a VPN to access the site.
- FM: Interact is only available to approved VCU administrators and employees with a VCU eID. To request access or for questions, email Betsy Moscosco, space data analyst, at email@example.com.
To access views or reports, use the blue sidebar on the left side of the screen. If you continue to receive this error message, please email OSM at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A respondent completes the SAVU answering questions related to their department's space. Once they submit the SAVU, the status will be updated to pending approval and the responder should alert their approver that the SAVU is ready for their review.
An approver reviews their respondent’s answers to ensure that all questions have been completed and answered correctly. They can also update answers if necessary.
Note: Departments can assign multiple respondents but can only assign one approver. Alternatively, they can also assign one individual as both the respondent and approver.
Capacity is the total number of employee workstations in the room as it is currently configured, not the fire code maximum capacity. Offices typically have a capacity of one; however, an office can have two or more workstations, so the capacity should reflect the total number of workstations in the room. This value is not required for room types where workstations do not exist (e.g. conference rooms, classrooms, hallways and service areas).
Occupants are the employees assigned to work in a room. If a room has a capacity (i.e., total number of workstations in the room as it is currently configured) of one or more and no occupants are assigned, it is assumed that the space is vacant. Multiple occupants can be added to a room if two or more people share the space (the capacity should reflect this as well).
If your department's occupancy changes during the year, please contact OSM at email@example.com to update your SAVU.
Bathrooms, hallways, stairs, elevators, mechanical rooms and housekeeping spaces are classified as “non-assignable” spaces that cannot be assigned to a specific school or department. However, hallways inside of a private office, lab suite and private bathrooms may appear if they are not open to the general public.
Please contact OSM at firstname.lastname@example.org and communicate which rooms need to be reassigned to your department.
Answer “No” to the “Department Correct?” question. You will then be prompted to enter a new department that the room should be assigned to. If you are not sure who the room belongs to, search for and select department “XXXX – Unknown.”