Custodial Operations is responsible for quality assurance of Virginia Commonwealth University's housekeeping contracts.
Custodial staff clean the academic, administrative, research and clinical areas on Monroe Park Campus and MCV Campus during the following times:
|Monroe Park Campus||Monday - Friday||Day shift: 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.|
|Sunday - Thursday||Night shift: 10 p.m. - 6:30 a.m.|
|MCV Campus||Monday - Friday||Day Shift: 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.|
|Monday - Friday||Night shift: 10 p.m. - 6:30 a.m.|
For information about your building's cleaning schedule, contact your quality assurance inspector.
Trash and recycling services
Custodial staff service trash and recycling receptacles by:
- Emptying office recycling bins once per week during scheduled office cleaning.
- Emptying trash receptacles in common areas (e.g., kitchens, break rooms, hallways, restrooms, lobbies and copy rooms) each day. Please note that trash receptacles in individual offices will not be emptied.
As necessary, outside of your office's regularly scheduled cleaning each day and night, you can deposit your trash in a trash bin (i.e., gray "Organic" trash container) and your recyclable materials in a recycling bin (i.e., blue recycle slim jim container) located in a nearby common area.
Prepare your office for cleaning
You can prepare your office for cleaning by:
- Clearing the floor and removing any items where you would like vacuuming to occur. Housekeeping staff will only vacuum open areas.
- Clearing your desk of items for dusting. Custodial staff will only dust cleared horizontal surfaces.
- Contacting your QA inspector if you would like your desk damp to be wiped.
Please note that custodial staff cannot move items to clean spaces.
Types of cleaning chemicals used
Custodial staff uses Virex® II 256, a disinfectant cleaner concentrate, to clean surfaces in facilities on campus. Virex kills 99.9% of microorganisms on contact and is certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Before use, the chemical is diluted, as it is not intended for use at full strength.
Please submit a Facilities Self Service request for the following situations, including service outside of your regularly scheduled day/night office cleaning:
- If a restroom requires attention (i.e., toilet paper or paper towels need to be refilled)
- To have bio hazardous waste removed
- To request a recycling clean-out or document destruction bins
- For housekeeping services required for special events
- For key requests, which can only be made by a department or school's designated key control manager
For 24/7 housekeeping emergencies during regular business, after hours and on weekends, please contact the Operation Center at (804) 828-9444.