Home > Service Guide

Service Guide

Also or if you are ready to make a request, log into Facilities Self Service.

How do I report a problem in my building?
All routine problems should be submitted via a Facilities Self Service request. In the event of a building emergency call the the FMD Customer Service at (804) 828-9444.

How do I get help when locked out of my office after hours?
Call VCU Police at (804) 828-1234.

How do I get AiM related questions answered?
Any assistance on the functionality and/or use of AiM should be forwarded to aimhelp@vcu.edu.

The staff managing this email lend support to both Facilities Self Service and other AiM funcitionalities or processes, such as entering work requests, billing, and addressing customer service concerns.

How do I request restroom supplies to be refilled (i.e. toilet paper/paper towels)
Submit a Facilities Self Service request. For emergencies and immediate needs, please call Customer Service at (804) 828-9444. ​

How do I submit a building temperature request (too hot/too cold?)
Submit a Facilities Self Service request. For emergencies and immediate needs, please call Customer Service at (804) 828-9444.

How do I get furniture replaced?
Contact your department or school.

How do I report a leak (water or gas?)
Call Customer Service at (804) 828-9444 and press 1 when prompted for an emergency.

How do I report a building emergency (lots of water, fire, smoke, etc.?)
Call Customer Service at (804) 828-9444 and press 1 when prompted.

How do I report an overflowing or stopped up toilet in my residence hall?
Call FMD Customer Service at (804) 828-9444.

How do I get help when locked out of my residence hall?
If you are locked out of your room during office hours (Monday – Friday, 8am – 6pm), visit your hall’s Housing Office to borrow a key for a maximum of 30 minutes. If you are locked out after hours or on weekends, visit the information desk in your hall, and the desk assistants will contact the RA on call to meet you in the lobby and escort you to your room to unlock the door.

How do I obtain a permit for tents and stages used throughout the University for one-time events?
Contact Matthew Magruder at magrudermc@vcu.edu or (804) 827-7890 to obtain a permit for tent or stage throughout the University for one-time events. Permits are required -- organizations are not allowed to contract with a vendor and get a tent or stage and have it installed for an event.

How do I garden on campus?
You can rent a plot for a small fee in the MCV Community Garden near the Larrick Student Center.

You can reach out to the Learning Garden Coordinator to inquire about volunteering opportunities in the Monroe Park Campus Learning Garden.

How do I recycle print cartridges?
Please place your used cartridges back in their original box.  Reach out to your Supply Room Company representative, to let them know you need to recycle used print cartridges.

If your print cartridge was not purchased through the Supply Room Company, reach out to the print cartridge manufacturer to get the cartridge recycled.

How do I rent a bike on campus for no cost?
RamBikes offers free rentals of commuter cruisers to students, faculty and staff at no cost.  All you need is your VCU ID and you can rent a bicycle, with a helmet and lights included, for up to 72 hours at a time.

How do I make my office more sustainable?
The Green Recognition for Offices and Workspaces (GROW) program is a sustainability engagement opportunity targeting faculty and staff.  Contact the Office of Sustainability to express your interest in the program. 

Alterations, Renovations and Improvements

For work performed by the Facilities Management Department, the requesting department will be billed the actual cost of labor, materials, equipment and contractor cost.

Category: Buildings

Base Provisions

The Facilities Management E&G budget pays the costs of operation and maintenance of the University’s E&G and research facilities. The cost of basic operation and maintenance services provided to auxiliary enterprises is billed to the respective auxiliary enterprise unit.

Category: Support


Repair and maintain fossil-fired equipment to heat buildings and/or provide domestic hot water; evaluations to measure operational efficiency; order-of-magnitude cost estimates, design and project management for projects involving the above; management of the state-mandated continuous emission monitoring of the main steam plant, Virginia State boiler certificates and emission/testing.

Category: Buildings

Building Access Control

More than 200 buildings are owned or occupied by Virginia Commonwealth University. VCU limits access to all university-owned and leased buildings and space to authorized persons for authorized purposes.

Category: Buildings

Building Access Request

Access Control requests for Monroe Park Campus buildings can be submitted via the Technology Services LANDesk Service web site, located at servicedesk.vcu.edu. Upon logging in with your eID and password, click on the Report a Building Access Incident, the options to request building access are listed there.

Category: Buildings

Building and Space Management

The Space Reporting Center provides basic information on VCU buildings and rooms. VCU FMInteract provides numerous services including floor maps, GIS and details about buildings around VCU.

Category: Buildings

Building Room Numbering

For buildings located within VCU’s inventory, each room number is constructed using the “hotel system.” That is, a floor number ascending or descending from ground level is followed by a number for the room on that floor (example: 100 = First floor, 200 = Second floor, 300 = Third floor, B01 = Basement, etc.).

Category: Buildings


VCU is committed to enhancing the quality of life of the campus community by integrating the best practices of safety and security with technology.  A critical component of a comprehensive security plan is the utilization of a security and safety camera system.  The surveillance of public areas is intended to deter crime and assist in protecting the safety and property of the VCU community. 

Category: Other

Campus Coordinators

If you need assistance resolving any Physical Plant or FMD issues, please contact the Campus Coordinators.

Category: Support


Building, installation and repair of wooden structures for campus facilities, (including/ for example): trouble calls; doors and hardware; ceiling replacement or repair; floor replacement or repair and walls office renovations and other projects.

Category: Buildings

Construction Management

The Construction Management Department oversees the construction, renovation and restoration of buildings and infrastructure at Virginia Commonwealth University. Construction Management ensures that contractors adhere to the approved project design and the highest quality construction standards while complying with all state code, construction and contract requirements.

Category: Support

Contract Administration

Contract Administration manages several types of contracts at both the Monroe Park and MCV Campuses.

Category: Support

Custodial Operations

Custodial Operations is responsible for quality assurance of the University’s Housekeeping Contracts.

Category: Building Services

Electrical Services

Maintenance, installation and alteration of electrical systems and components from low- to high-voltage distribution and end-usage devices; management of projects involving lighting, electrical service upgrades, office requirements, building/office/lab electrical assessments, and testing of new energy-efficient lighting.

Category: Buildings

Elevator Services

Inspection, repair, maintenance and modification of circuitry and equipment of passenger and freight elevator systems and power lifts are contracted out to an outside vendor.

Category: Engineering and Utility Services

Engineering and Utilities

The Engineering and Utilities Unit of FMD provides a myriad of services for the VCU community.

Category: Engineering and Utility Services

Facilities Self Service

Facilities Self Service is the online customer service portal for Facilities Management. Facilities Self Service is your one-stop-shop for requesting assistance from FMD. Facilities Self Service provides the fastest way to enter a work order or check its status.

Category: Support

Facilities Services

The University is divided into four geographic maintenance zones, each led by a Superintendent. They aim to provide consistent, responsive service based on ownership and accountability for providing a complete job.

Category: Buildings

General Services

General Services provides the following services on a reimbursable basis: department furniture moves, special event setup, table and chair rentals, reuse delivery and surplus removal.

Category: Building Services

Graffiti Removal

Graffiti removal from painted masonry, metal, cement and other outdoor and indoor surfaces.

Category: Buildings


Physical Plant maintains all university grounds and landscaping.

Category: Grounds Services

Hard Surfaces

Maintenance of sidewalks and building entrances, upkeep of parking lots, sign installation and repairs.

Category: Grounds Services

Hazardous Waste

Provides support for removal of hazardous materials (i.e. asbestos, lead, mercury, PCBs) or equipment that contains hazardous materials that may be impacted during a maintenance or renovation activity.

Category: Other

Heating, Ventilation and Cooling (HVAC)

Responsibility distributed through Zones and Automation for maintaining heating, cooling, indoor air quality and humidification where applicable; maintenance and repair of ventilation systems such as supply fans, fume hoods and exhaust systems; functional checks of control systems; preventive maintenance on HVAC systems and room pressurization and pressure/air balances.

Category: Buildings

Inclement Weather/Emergencies

VCU administration will make any decisions regarding university closing or changing of normal operating schedules. The Director of Physical Plant will advise the Associate Vice President for Facilities Management of weather and ground conditions.

Category: Buildings


The Lock Shop is responsible for all physical keys and locks on campus.

Category: Engineering and Utility Services

Mechanical Services

Installation and maintenance of heating systems, steam distribution systems, hydronic heating systems, steam and condensate systems, chilled water systems, water distribution systems and storm and sanitary sewer systems; fabrication, installation and repair of piping fixtures used in the production and distribution of steam or hot water under low or high pressures including water treatment and process piping systems.

Category: Buildings


Paints or contracts to paint interior and exterior surfaces of buildings, structures, fixtures and furniture, walls (plaster or block), ceilings and floors; provides custom paint and stain matches using all VCU-specified latex/oil-based paints and stains, epoxies and elastomeric coatings.

Category: Buildings

Physical Plant Operations Center

Physical Plant operates a service center designed to centralize and make readily available all of Physical Plant’s services to customers on both campuses. Additionally, the Customer Service Center serves as the central point of contact for general information about Physical Plant and the status of emergency work.

Category: Support

Planning and Design Services

Planning, project management and evaluations of buildings and spaces around VCU.

Category: Renovations

Plumbing Services

Responsibility is distributed throughout the Zones for the installation and maintenance of centralized piping, fixtures and equipment used for the delivery of water, fuel gases, compressed air, storm and sanitary sewers within the buildings.

Category: Buildings

Preliminary Cost Assessments and Estimates

Physical Plant can provide estimates for small projects and service work. Request for estimates are made via Facilities Self Service.

Category: Buildings

Recycling Services

VCU utilizes a single stream-recycling program in our buildings to simplify the collection of recyclable materials.

Category: Sustainability Services

Refrigeration Services

Maintenance Zones are responsible for both the maintenance and repair or equipment that uses Freon for mechanical refrigeration in the cooling process and the chemical water treatment in HVAC systems that use water as a heat transfer medium.

Category: Support

Renovations and Construction

University Renovations is responsible for construction, maintenance reserve, and renovation of facilities for both VCU’s Monroe Park and MCV campuses.

Category: Renovations


The Roofing shop is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all roofing and gutter systems for university buildings. It is also responsible for putting up banners and maintaining U.S. and state flags. Emergency roof repairs are submitted through the Physical Plant Operations Center at (804) 828-9444.

Category: Buildings

Safety and Risk Management (SRM)

Other University safety and risk management functions are managed by SRM – https://srm.vcu.edu. These functions include Auto Claims/Driver Training, Biosafety, Environmental Health and Safety, Fire Safety, Hazardous Waste, Industrial Hygiene, Insurance, Laboratory Safety, Occupational Safety, Radiation Safety and Risk Management/Insurance.

Category: Other

Scheduled Maintenance Announcements

Scheduled maintenance announcements for utility shutdowns, generator testing, phone and cable outages and other scheduled maintenance are compiled from several sources. They are sent out to building contacts by the Campus Coordinators in advance of any disruption to a campus customer.

Category: Support


Creating a consistent, cohesive, informative and distinctive signage system not only makes navigation easier but also enhances the visual unity of each campus by distinguishing the university from the surrounding community. The Physical Plant Division is responsible for ensuring adherence to these standards. Accordingly, all signage orders must be placed through the sign manager in the Physical Plant Division.

Category: Support

Support Shops

The Support Shop mission is to provide a wide variety of smaller scale construction/repair services to Facilities Management and Physical Plant groups, as well as the university at large, to help them meet their needs and goals.

Category: Buildings

Surplus and GovDeals

The Surplus Property Department is responsible for evaluating excess university personal property to determine the most cost effective method for disposal. GovDeals provides services to various government agencies that allow them to sell surplus and confiscated items via the Internet.

Category: Sustainability Services

Sustainability Initiatives

Sustainability at VCU intends to be mindful stewards of our diverse human and natural environments through education, innovation, collaboration and engagement. We strive to foster a multi-faceted culture of sustainability, through the responsible use of resources and continuous advocacy for the Richmond community by inspiring behavior change through our own efforts.

Category: Sustainability Services

Waterproofing and Moisture Intrusion

Apply waterproofing materials to structures below ground and above ground (roofs, basements, high-moisture rooms, floors and fountains). Water damage and mold caused from moisture intrusion can cause serious problems. Upon the discovery of a water leak or flood, it is important to contact Operations Center at (804) 828-9444.

Category: Buildings