Engineering and utilities
Engineering and Utilities provides the following services:
- Responds to mechanical and electrical engineering inquiries pertaining to building projects, such as new construction, major renovations, and repair and replacement.
- Reviews site plans for new construction to identify and/or resolve utility supply issues.
- Advises Planning and Design on best short-term and long-term building systems strategies to support VCU's strategic priorities.
- Reviews drawings, submittals, specifications and bids for engineering projects.
- Supplies project management for in-house energy conservation measures.
- Monitors building performance data via electronic control systems (DDC/BAS).
- Supports Physical Plant zones and shops with engineering services.
- Reviews and tracks energy consumption in all on campus buildings.
- The Steam Plant supplies steam to Monroe Park Campus, MCV Campus and Commonwealth of Virginia buildings.
VCU Energy Management purchases and manages all university utilities, including electricity, natural gas, water, sewage and fuel oil.
Steam is generated on site in central power plants and distributed to connected buildings on the Monroe Park Campus and the MCV Campus. The department oversees a variety of campus initiatives to improve energy conservation and reduce costs associated with energy usage.
To request a routine engineering or utility service, please submit a request via the Facilities Self Service. In the event of an emergency, please call Physical Plant Customer Service at (804) 828-9444.