VCU administration will make any decisions regarding university closing or changing of normal operating schedules. During times of threatening weather conditions or emergencies, please listen for announcements on the major area radio/television stations or call (804) 278-1727 to hear the operating plan that is in effect or check the VCU Alert website, sign up to receive emergency text messages and emails. Enroll in VCU Parking and Transportation’s text service at www.parking.vcu.edu/news-and-alerts/text-service to stay informed of parking impacts, such as facility closings and relocations due to inclement weather or emergencies.
Physical Plant has primary responsibility for snow and ice control operations at VCU. To meet this responsibility, necessary equipment and materials will be prepared and staged for use at all times during the winter season.
Where to Check for Closings
Refer to the Human Resource Divisions Inclement Weather Procedure for details of the university’s closing plans, designated employee and parking procedures. During times of threatening weather conditions, please listen for announcements on the major area radio/television stations or call (804) 278-1727 to hear the operating plan that is in effect or check the VCU Alert website. University employees are notified by their supervisors or department heads as to whether they are designated employees who are required to work their scheduled shifts during inclement weather. If the university remains open or reopens during inclement weather, approved employee absences will be covered by accrued leave or leave without pay, as appropriate.
- Listen for announcements on major area radio and television stations. Note: No media announcement is made if VCU is open
- Check the VCU Alert website for current advisories (or VCU's alternate website if access to servers is unavailable)
- Sign up to receive emergency text messages and emails
- Follow VCU on Twitter@VCUnews and Facebook@VCU
- Look for information on digital screens in major academic buildings and all residence halls on the Monroe Park and MCV Campuses
- MCV Campus schools may post additional information on school websites or hotlines
- Enroll in VCU Parking and Transportation’s text service at parking.vcu.edu/news-and-alerts/text-service to stay informed of parking impacts, such as facility closings and relocations due to inclement weather or emergencies.
VCU inclement weather plans
- Plan 1. All day classes on both the Monroe Park and MCV Campuses are canceled. All faculty and staff offices are closed. Designated employees must report to work at the time established for the inclement weather incident.
- Plan 2. All day classes on both the Monroe Park and MCV Campuses are delayed starting and faculty and staff offices are delayed opening until (a specified time – to be announced). Designated employees must report to work at the time established for the inclement weather incident.
- Plan 3. All day classes on the _____ Campus are (canceled or delayed starting until _____). All faculty and staff offices on the _____ Campus are (closed or delayed opening until _____). Designated employees must report to work at the time established for the inclement weather incident.
Separate announcements will be made for evening and Saturday classes.
Personnel Who Work Outside the Day Shift: All employees on shifts following a closing or late opening must report to work as scheduled unless additional announcements are made for their particular shifts.
Parking Assignments during Inclement Weather Closings: VCU faculty, staff and students who hold valid parking decals for VCU decks should continue to use their assigned decks. For updates on lot clearings and alternate parking locations, as applicable, VCU faculty, staff and students who hold valid parking decals for VCU surface lots should visit the Parking and Transportation website for updates.
When inclement weather or other emergency conditions cause one campus to remain open while another closes, employees follow the instructions that affect the campus on which they are housed or to which they primarily report. If classes are in session on a particular campus, offices are also open.
Late opening and closing announcements for state government do not apply to VCU. A separate announcement will be made about VCU's operating status.
A facility emergency requires immediate action in order to eliminate serious hazards to people or damage/loss to university property. Emergency work is also performed to correct disruptions to life support and life safety systems.
Facility emergencies may be reported directly to Physical Plant’s Operations Center at (804) 828-9444.
All security/police related issues should be reported to the Campus Police Department at (804) 828-1234.