Temporary structure permits

Temporary structure permits are required for installations on property owned by the Commonwealth of Virginia. These permits authorize the use of temporary structures such as tents, stages and occupied amusement devices. 

Temporary structure permits must be requested via eBuilder at least 14 days prior to the event.

Project permits

All buildings within the Commonwealth of Virginia are subject to compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code that applies to new buildings as well as alterations/renovations.  

The Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) at VCU is per section 36-98.1 of the Code of Virginia which designates the Virginia Department of Engineering and Buildings (DEB) as the AHJ for all structures on property owned by the Commonwealth.

The scope of work requiring a building or project permit and documentation requirements are stipulated in the DEB's Construction and Professional Services Manual (CPSM) Appendix P.

Generally speaking, any work that impacts the HVAC, electrical, plumbing fire alarm, rated assemblies, sprinkler systems and means of egress in a building must be reviewed to determine if it needs either a permit from DEB or if it can be executed under the annual permit authority granted to VCU by DEB. (The complete list of work requiring permits is found in Appendix P of the CPSM.)



How do I determine if I need a VCU project permit?

Use the VCU Permitting Determination Matrix (Appendix P) template (see above) to determine if your project meets internal permitting requirements. For questions, email Michael Trzesniowski at

How do I initiate the VCU project permit process?

  1. Review the VCU Permitting Determination Matrix (Appendix P) to determine if a VCU Project Permit is required.
  2. Login to eBuilder. If you don't have an account, you can request one by emailing
  3. Navigate to the Internal Permits project. *For eBuilder projects, you can start the process directly on the project page.
  4. Start the process "21 - Request Internal Permit."
  5. For detailed instructions, click here.

What documents must be included with the VCU Project Permit Request Form?

Scope of work, drawings, relevant proposals and any other essential information should be attached to the process in eBuilder. Please note that the VCU Permitting Determination Matrix (Appendix P) is not required for submission.

When does a permit need to be closed?

Once work is complete, the “21 - Request Internal Permit” process should be resubmitted with the request type listed as “Close a Permit.” For detailed instructions, click here.